February 15, 2023
Media contact: National Consumers League – Katie Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-823-8442
Washington, D.C. – NCL’s CEO Sally Greenberg spoke at the Association of Accessible Medicines and International Generic and Biosimilar Medicines Association Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL on Wednesday, February 15, 2023.
Greenberg joined the panel “The Generic and Biosimilar Industries Global Reputation” moderated by former NY Times journalist Gardiner Harris.
In her statements, Greenberg made the following points:
- The generic and biosimilar industry has saved the US health care system an estimated $2.4 trillion between 2011 and 2020 and the industry is incredibly important to a well-functioning health care system.
- NCL reinforces the messages with consumers that generic drugs contain the same active ingredients in the same dosages as brand name drugs, are every bit as safe and effective, but cost far less.
- Biosimilars, developed after patents expire on brand name biologics, are as safe and effective as the original biologic, both brand biologics and biosimilars are rigorously and thoroughly evaluated by the FDA before approval and biosimilars have no clinically meaningful differences from the original biologic.
- Over 90% of drugs are available in a generic version today, compared to less than 19% less than 4 decades ago, saving consumers and patients many millions of dollars each year.
- The role of consumer advocacy groups like NCL will continue to be as an independent voice disseminating accurate, evidence based, scientifically grounded information about medicines and their safety and efficacy.
For the first time since 2014, the 25th International Generic and Biosimilar Medicines Association (IGBA) Annual Conference will be held in the United States, in conjunction with AAM’s Access! 2023 Annual Meeting. This event offers an opportunity to hear from leading global stakeholders, industry leaders, and other experts offering their views and analysis of the most pressing policy questions influencing patient access to generic and Biosimilar medicines in countries around the world.
About the National Consumers League (NCL)
The National Consumers League, founded in 1899, is America’s pioneer consumer organization. Our mission is to protect and promote social and economic justice for consumers and workers in the United States and abroad. For more information, visit nclnet.org.