Stop senior scams!
Happy Consumer Protection Week! While fraud can affect anyone, regardless of age and other demographic information, Fraud.org and NCL are putting the spotlight on scams targeting older Americans. Our host for this episode is NCL’s very own fraud expert, Vice President of Public Policy, Telecommunications and Fraud John Breyault. John sits down with Lizette Alvarez of the Washington Post and Debra Berlyn of Project GOAL to discuss fraud prevention strategies for seniors and their families. You will hear real life examples of some shocking scams and different ways to fight fraud either for yourself or a loved one. Let’s ALL make a point to speak up about fraud.
In this episode there were some resources referenced and those links can be found below:
- Lizette Alvarez’s Washington Post column on impersonation scams: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/08/elderly-scams-protections-targets-finances/
- Fraud.org – http://www.fraud.org
- Better Business Bureau: Ask Why. Verify. – https://www.bbb.org/all/bbbi/impersonation-scams
- Federal Trade Commission: Pass It On – https://consumer.ftc.gov/features/pass-it-on
- Project GOAL – https://theprojectgoal.org/